Monday, September 11, 2006

The Find

A couple weeks back, my wife and I were out in Holliston Massachusetts and I tend to be an aluminum voyuer when driving backrounds. I spotted the thirteen panels and my heart started pumping when I saw the for sale sign. The trailer is a 1956 Airstream Caravanner, number 9090. Over the course of two weeks the owner and I played phone tag, but he left me the keys in the mailbox which I held onto fearing someone else would swoop in on my find.

Last Sunday when I went to pick it up from the yard, I made sure to stop at Lowes to pick up some additional items in case I ran into any issues.... and you can bet I did. The wiring harness had not been used in ages and the seven pin connector was rusty. After about 40 minutes of tinkering with it I broke open my newly purchased towing lights and attached them to the rear.

The next issue was raising the trailer to connect it to the ball. I had brought a number of cinder blocks and a 2 ton jack for just such an issue. I raised the tongue and connected it but the jack stand was electric and not working either. I had to remove the jack.

The ride home was uneventful and the rig sits in my backyard waiting for future work to be done.

Over the next year or more, I'll post pictures and updates to to the trailer. I plan on doing a full frame off restoration and adding new storage tanks all around. Time to learn some new skills!!!