Thursday, October 05, 2006

The 12 Step Program

I'm getting this feeling that Airstream restoration is like twelve step program, but the problem is no one tells you what those steps are!

So I have this job that is as boring as toast, but it never used to be this way. It pays the bills and gives me time to doodle on my notepad about interior designs, research items of interest (ala precisiontemp), and generally let my mind wonder about restoring the caravanner. The problem is that this is turning into a bit of an obsession and most of my waking time is spent considering different options for the rig...... help me!

My most recent foray into restoration was to take the cabinets into my shop and see what condition they're in and if they are reusable. All of the cabinets have some type of water damage on the bottom. The kitchen sink/stove cabinet are the worse and the panels on either end have dry rot. SO now comes the second step in the program, keep the original parts, scab on new pieces, and pray for a stain match or use the orig as a template and make new. I'm pretty good at cabinet making, so I'm leaning towards making new. The big design challen won't be coming up with a usable floor plan, but rather coming up with cabinets that look and feel the age of the trailer. One of the things these older units have is charm and I don't want to loose it all together.

The other good part about new projects is new tools! If you start a new project, you just have to go out and buy a new tool. Don't know what it will be, but I have my eye on a new router ;)

TTYL,

Doug

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home