The beginnings of a shower
The caravanner did not have a shower originally, but just a sink basin and a small one at that. I'm not sure I am going to put a sink basin back in or not, but I am going to install a shower. I have a brand new tub from a friend of mine who is a wiz at firberglass, but I keep going back and forth on the idea of using it since it is very tall.
I like the idea of using the tub since it's already water tight. I won't have to go through an extensive process of building a wet bath, but in order to use the tub I'll need to use a macerator toilet. These toilets are nice, but expensive. One of the other issues/benefits of using it as a wet bath is the height of the tub, 14". It's not much to jump over but in such a confined space I don't want to make it more labor intensive to use the loo. The other more obvious point, is that the tub was not made for my rig specifically and I would have to cut a fair amount back to make it fit.
So assuming I use the tub, cut it back and drop it only on the front, I'll need to re-face it. Last night after dinner, I dug out one of my moulds and modified it. Just a couple screws. I then took 6 pieces of 5" baltic birch 1/8 ply wood and glued them together. I then took the piece and bent them around the mold. Clamped them and let them sit. Before work this morning I popped it off the mold and the piece looks awesome. A nice 90 degree bend with a total thickness of 3/4 inch. The purpose of this little experiment was to determine if I cold create 3/4 inch thickness bent 90 degrees, which could then be used to wrap the leading edge of the tub, giving it a more finished, almost barrell look.
Here are a couple pictures




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home