Monday, March 26, 2007

Overhead cabinet

I have made a slight change to my plan in terms of the overhead cabinet for the galley. I had planned on creating an ellaborate shelf system, but after my success with creating a laminated curved piece of plywood I decied to try remaking the overhead cabinet. The orig was in rough shape and my first attempt to bending baltic birch did not come out as nice as I would have liked.

The trick to making these is all about gluing up more than one piece and shaping them on a mold. I had the mold already built, so I bent two sheets of baltic birch with poly glue holding it all together. Loads of clamps and bars to hold it in place, but after 24 hours of drying I popped it off and voila, a curved piece that held it's shape. I crafted the end out of a 3/4 piece of ply and the slide rails out of birch. Loads more glue and staples to hold it all together and then a layer of birch veneer to make it look nice.

I made the sliders to match the base cabinet. Here are some pictures of the unfinished overhead cabinet. Needs a bit of sanding to get the odd bits of glue off, but overall I'm pleased with how it came out.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home