Saturday, January 06, 2007

More Gally Pictures

Last night was a productive evening working on the cabinet. After work I epoxied together the material for the sliding doors, which is 1/8 hard board and 1/8 birch plywood. The birch ply comes from Downes and Reader in Stoughton and is cabinet grade, so there are no gaps an the birch veneer is top quality. I used a west two part epoxy. Once glued I clamped the material between two other pieces of 3/4 ply. Once the epoxy dried, I cut the pieces to shape and then made the sliding door track out of another piece of birch.

The two pictures show the cabinet dry fitted. Nothing is pegged or glued yet and the drawer fronts are just set in place.

The other item that I'm thinking about is how the AC is positioned. Currently it sits with the fan pointing out from under the cabinet, but the return is still on the inside. What I'm thinking of doing is turning the AC sideways and adding in a cutout with a round diffuser on the side. then the return would be where the front is currently. Dave W at Vintagetrailering.com crafted a vent using a round diffuser that caught my eye and it looks sorta modern/commercial/retro at the same time. This might be a good opportunity to build one into my trailer, but it would mean giving up the space next to the cooktop for a fold-up table.

The problem with positioning it this way is that the controls are out of sight. The unit comes with a remote which would solve the problem, but then the 12" round diffuser might not be practical. The other option is to put a rectangular grill there which would be flush, so I could potentially still put a fold-up table there and raise it when the ac is on. Things to think about.


Here are some pictures of my progress. Again, still needs work and veneer. Also, have to cut to fit the back using the original cabinet as a template.... need to taper the the back to fit the contour of the trailer.

Lastly so people don't think I'm loosing my mind on measurements, the far left of the cabinet has a 1/2 gap which will be used to support a divider panel. See prior post for description.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home