Thursday, January 04, 2007

Same DNA? Ok, same cutting board knob

Over the holiday, I didn't just sit on my duff and watch repeats of Ghost in The shell or fly around my daughters inflatable blimp... well not much that is. I started in earnest to put my plans for the new interior to work.... I had already purchased all the materials and I needed to do something with my hands other than eat.

The new gally will be a blend of the old and new. I am sticking to the same layout as the original 56 caravanner, but I am building new and making changes as I like, such as the large rounded corners in the gally. The new gally will be the heart of the camper and will house the circuit breakers, storage for kitchenwares, sink, cook top, and AC. Yes AC, I'm using a portable AC we've used in the house and once used on a trip with the globetrotter. Works great saves me from cutting a huge hole in the roof. I'll vent it directly out the side of the unit through a marine deck vent.

The gally is 2" inches shorter than the original, but the cabinet itself has an extra half inch on the far left to support a vertical divider. The divider takes a little away from the openness of the floorplan, but I wanted to create a little more privacy for the bed area. The divider will also help support a shelf over the gally and over part of the bed. I'll post pictures later of the shelves.

The sink or better said the entire top of the gally was purchased on clearance at my favorite euro furniture store for $25 back in October. I brought it home and put it in my office to ponder what I could do with it.

The cook top replaces the princess stove and will be mounted directly next to the sink I'll be using a 2 burner LP drop in. There are several nice stainless units on the market. You can see on the far right a piece of cardboard which marks the area to be used for the cooktop.

Here are a couple of pictures. One of the original gally and one of the new gally, a work in progress. Still needs work and veneer.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home