Friday, October 13, 2006

One Man, One Drill, and a Light

Over the last couple evenings after dinner, I've gone out to the rig and started taking apart the interior panels. Before I could do this I had to remove the upper cabinets and that brings up my first tangent, quality.

It's funny to read on airstream forums the discussions about new model quality and of course some vintage snob chiming in that quality was SO much better on the older units. HA, I say! Quality on the old units was shell deep and that's it. The interior components were not high quality. A good example are the cabinets, hardwood veneer, hardwood faces and pine frames. The funny part is that most of the cabinets were never sanded, except for the face frame. The dovetails used for the drawers look like a high school student tried his hand at dovetailing. You might ask, well are they original? Yes they are, all the components were stamped with the serial number of the rig, so I know they all match up.

Going back to the original theme of this post, it's not very hard to remove the interior panels. Just a good drill and a sharp bit. For me the worst part was removing the insulation, which I have some allegy to. It might be the dried mouse shit/pee and dust that sets me off but after working in there, I can feel my chest squeeze.....

This weekend will be spent regreasing the barrings and getting the rig ready to tow to Plattsburgh, NY in two weeks.



Ancient Airsream Hyrogliffs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home