What a pain in the back
I told my wife that on Saturday I would do a quick run to lowes and be back to rollerblade in the driveway with our daughter. I kept my word and had a ball, but as soon as my daughter went inside I did the b-line for the shop. Dovetailed one drawer and fitted the bottom mount sliders in place. A productive day. On Sunday afternoon, I decided that the drawer fronts did not look good being flush to the cabinets, so I broke out the originals and crafted a set that were closer to original. They look awesome and have a nicer fit than my more modern ones.
You know you're getting old when you pull a muscle when using a router. Here I was hunched over the work table and pulled a muscle in my back. Now today, I'm sitting very still while on the mend......
For all you vintage restorers or re-mod'rs here are couple products.
The first is for the 50s vintage guys who are sick of their slightly rusted cabinet hinges. Rejuvenation.com has an art deco 3/8" offset hinge which is 95% identical to the ones used by airstream.

The second is for both vintage and re-mod'rs. Part of the problem, but at the same time practical, with the method Airstream used for cabinet drawers was a slide-less drawer system. Meaning, they relied on the friction of the wood and a little notch to keep it closed while in travel. Works nice, but once you upgrade them to modern ball bearing sliders you need a method to lock these cabinet drawers closed. Leevalley.com (which is one of my favorite place for good quality hardware), has these polished nickel push botton latches. I ordered a dozen and will use them in place of the vintage ones from oddie.
>In prior posts I discussed the position of the AC under the gally, initially I had tought I would position the blower out the right side of the sliding doors. But after careful consideration, I am going to cut a vent on the right side and position the blower behind it. This way the return is on the door side and likely more efficient. In any event, I'll have to include a fan within the trailer to help circulate the cooled air.
Here's a picture of the vent I'll use. This one is square but the one I'll use will be 14'x8'



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home