Monday, October 16, 2006

Hold the phone, one more project!

I had the opportunity to chat with Rich Luhr at the last unit Rally in Vermont and during the campfire one night, Rich spun his tale of tires and lugs. Now for all of us with trailers, especially single axles, this was a scary story. You're tooling down a steep and twisty hill and you here *ping* and in the rear view see your tire shoot off into the distant.... Aparently his lugs were over torqued and busted off during the trip.

Having that in the back of my mind and chatting with my wife last night, who insisted that I repair the lugs before the trip, I decided to learn how to do this job. I got out this morning at 6:30AM and took off the wheel and hub. Went back into the shop and examined it closely to see that they studs are just held in place via grooves. A couple good whacks with a heavy hammer and out they came. 8:00AM I was down to the local Car Quest store and Steve sorted out which ones I needed. 8:30AM I was back in the shop and pounded the new studs in place. Done. After work tonight, I'll put it all back together.

What an easy job! I might just have to carry some spares with me for the future.

The carquest part number was DOR 610-096 for the stud and DOR 611-014 for the nut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home