Tuesday, January 16, 2007

4 Drawer Chest - Restore Part 1

The caravanner interior has this very nice four drawer chest with a bent top. I've seen variations in other years, but I believe 56 was the only year that the caravanner did not use this chest as a sink. The chest has seen better days and was in pretty dire shape when we took ownership of the trailer. The top back edge and bottom edges of the veneer where flaking off due to water damage and there is a water/sun mark on the top across the back. Combined with other knicks and dings I considered rebuilding it, but before I took that on I decided to try to repair some of the damage and re-veneer it with PSA veneer.



The first step was to stabalize the existing veneer and strengthen areas that had dry rot. I used a west epoxy with a filler to repair the bottom and top. I also used poly glue and non-stick pads to repair other areas, but the west epoxy was clearly the better choice. I really like the west expoxy since it is not runny and tends to self level.





Once I sanded the out my repairs, removed all the welt and staples, I then applied a PSA birch veneer. I doubt most people have used this stuff, but it's a good option for mess less veneering. The material is about 1/16th of an inch thick with a 3M backing. It's real wood and can be stained or sealed as with any hardwood. Applying the veneer is pretty simple, peal and stick in a nut shell. You will have to use some veneer blades to apply and smooth out the veneer. I really need more clamps!!!!! ;)



Another product that I have mentioned before is Alsa Corp FX sheeting. I bought a small amount to use as highlights in my interior. This is basically brushed aluminum veneer with a 3M backing, much like the psa veneer. You can see a proto-type of the kick board used with the clamp ontop of the chest.




I'll post some finished pictues once I route out the drawers and trip the rest of the veneer.

Doug

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home